Help Help emergency.. goldfish next to possible mercury poisoning?
Long story (look at my last post). Goldfish I had tried to treat for ick didn't work. He died anyways. There was one not here, so I decided to put him in another little tank to try and numeral out the problem. On examination while cleaning the old tank, I notice that the THERMOMETER HAD A BIG HOLE IN IT! Could this be mercury poisoning? The fish look all weird, with nearly blood on the fins and mouth swollen.
I don't know if they use real mercury anymore, but there be some strange looking material on the thermometer itself.
Your fish's illness is almost certainly unrelated. It sounds similar to a bacterial septicemia, which you should treat with antibiotics.
The only hazard from a broken thermometer, for you as ably as for your fish, is from broken glass. Try to get any pieces of broken glass out of the cistern if you can.